Now with 3 locations
24hr Emergency Service
Professional Duct Cleaning
Residential & Commercial
Call Us Today For A Free Estimate!
Commonly Reported HVAC Problems:
[Copyright © 1996-2013. Hannabery HVAC. All rights reserved.]
Noisy indoor unit:
Noisy indoor unit complaints usually fall into one of six different categories:
1. Loud scraping, metal hitting metal sound
1. Loud scraping, metal hitting metal sound - First of all, turn the system off immediately. This is usually the worst of the six different sounds. One cause for this sound is that the blower wheel came loose from the motor shaft, moved and is hitting the blower housing. In this case, if no damage was done to the wheel or the motor shaft, it could be moved back to the proper spot and re-tightened to the motor.
Another and more likely cause is that the blower wheel actually broke, in which case it would need to be replaced. This makes a very disturbing sound almost as bad as fingernails on a chalk board.
A third possibility is that a motor mount broke, causing the entire motor and blower assembly to drop and the blower wheel is hitting the housing. In any case, please shut off the system ASAP when this sound is heard or the repair bill could significantly increase.
2. Loud thumping or vibrating noise - Sometimes this sounds like an out of balance washing machine. This is usually a blower wheel out of balance. Sometimes the motor itself can become out of balance as well. The sound isn't usually too bad but shouldn't be ignored because it can cause other problems to the system.
3. Loud humming noise - If the unit is working fine then most likely it is just a noisy transformer. Some transformers are louder than others and they all hum to some degree. If the unit is not working and a hum can be heard, it could be a bad indoor fan motor and/or capacitor.
4. Rattling, squealing or high-pitched sound - This applies mostly to Heat Pumps. This is usually refrigerant-flow related, such as a check valve, and it's not always a problem. Some units have noisy check valves or metering devices. If the sound gets louder or annoying and the air filter has been checked, then a service call should be placed.
5. Loud pop or bang sound - This usually happens when the system fan first starts and/or stops. This is also only found on systems with sheet metal ductwork, and it is usually from the return trunk. When the fan first starts the duct "pops in" from the negative pressure of the fan. When the fan shuts off, the pressure releases and the duct "pops-out". This could be a sign of undersized duct, a clogged filter, closed vents or flimsy duct; requiring bracing.
6. Rumbling - (This applies to Gas or Oil-fired systems)
Important: If you hear an unusual rumbling sound associated with combustion from your gas or oil-fired appliance, call for service immediately. This indicates what could be a serious problem with the burner portion of your appliance. Turn off equipment if necessary.
So to sum it all up, below is a list of possible causes. Items in red usually require a service call. Items in blue however can be addressed, some even fixed by the homeowner.
Red = Professional fix | Blue = Homeowner fix
The bottom causes in blue are commonly found problems and can be addressed by the homeowner. Try to check for these conditions first before calling for service.
Please keep in mind that the information found on our website is provided free of charge and Hannabery HVAC does not assume any liability resulting from the information we provide. We hope this information helps, but please note that these are just rough guidelines, and not all possible situations are covered. Your HVAC system should be inspected and repaired by a trained technician.
How Comfortable Do You Want To Be?
Call us at 1-800-544-HEAT
[Must be in our service area]
The HVAC Store
General-Aire Wheel - Complete With Pad, Rod & Retaining Clip
Fits Model 81 Humidifier
Aprilaire Humidifier Water Panel: Stock #35
Fits Models: 350, 360, 560, 560A, 600, 700, 760, 760A
Aprilaire/Space-Gard Air Cleaner Stock #201 Media Replacements:
Fits Models: 2200, 2250
Aprilaire/Space-Gard Air Cleaner Stock #401 Media Replacements:
Fits Models: 2400
Forced Hot Air Furnaces: Troubleshooting & Repair
By Roger Vizi
Audel HVAC Fundamentals, Heating Systems...
By James E. Brumbaugh
System Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Procedures
By John Tomczyk
Study Guide for Modern Refrigeration and Air...
By Andrew D. Althouse,...
Malco TC312 Tube Cutter for Tubing 1/4-Inch-1 5/8-Inch Outside Diameter
Includes spare cutting wheel
Electronic Thermometer, -40 C to 232 C, -40 F to 450 F
Includes protective sheath, clip, and battery
Klein HD2000-9NE High-Leverage Side-Cutting Pliers
Usually ships in 24 hours
Milwaukee 6509-22 Sawzall 11-Amp Reciprocating Saw
Includes 1 blade and case
Main Office: 200 Schantz Road, Allentown, PA 18104
PA CONTRACTOR #8215
With 3 locations to serve you better!
Website design by firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1996-2013. Hannabery HVAC. All rights reserved.